Friday, September 10, 2010

3 weeks away... The Baker Lake 50k!

And the trail goes on…


I'm now 3 weeks away from my 2nd 50-kilometer ULTRA marathon. Baker Lake is beckoning and I am actually in good enough running shape that I am sure I can finish the race and maybe even improve on my first 50K race performance in the Rainier to Ruston Rail-Trail 50K Ultra 4 months ago.

My first Ultra experience was beautiful and RECKLESS. I flung myself into a race I was not prepared for and suffered the grinding juxtaposition of pain and pleasure that can only come from 'surviving' a truly difficult struggle.

I do not expect this coming race to be any less difficult. However, I am a little more prepared. I have put in some consistent mileage over the past 3 months and have the advantage of experience on my side. I know what running 30+ miles feels like and I am ready to try it again.

With that said, my training is still very minimal compared to most ultra-runners. I barely cracked 50 miles/week last week and most my runs are 7-8 milers...no real long runs yet... I am in no shape to actually RACE this thing. Nevertheless, I am in the mood to give it a good consistent effort and I would really love to break 6 hours (under 12 minute miles, which would be my PR ).

Time will tell and only one thing I know for sure:

The cool clear water in Baker Lake will sure feel good on my legs after the race! (...no matter how long it takes...:-)

Me soaking my legs in the cold water of the Pugent Sound after running from Mount Rainer to the Ocean...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog