Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Space for Uncomfortable Goals: Part 2 - 'Definition and Examples'


A space for Uncomfortable Goals signifies a sincere attempt to leave ones 'comfort zone' and reach out into Unknown Territory

Recently, I set an Uncomfortable Goal for myself. Exactly 8 weeks ago, I decided I wanted to run an ULTRA-marathon--a 50K race. At the time, I was only running about 20 miles a week. I was not in the shape to run a 30 mile race! However, I was in the mood for a challenge. I wanted to feel some pain and try and do something I was not really sure I could actually do. 

Rather then set a practical goal I set an Uncomfortable Goal. I trained hard and gradually increased my miles, ate better and started feeling better about my chances. However, according to all the experts it was still a stretch to think that someone could train for an ultra marathon in 7 weeks. I was being slightly reckless and quite frankly...I was scared. 

Nevertheless, last Saturday, I accomplished that uncomfortable goal. I ran 30.4 miles from near Mount Rainer to the Puget Sound in Washington State. I did not run fast and I thought a few times during the race that I was going to break down into small pain-filled pieces and crumble away into oblivion. 

However, I did not break and I did not quit and I finally did it. Now, the universe is just a tad bit smaller and maybe even slightly less chaotic and incomprehensible as it was before...

Six months ago, I set a similar sort of uncomfortable goal for myself. I decided to switch careers in the middle of a recession while supporting a family. I was in a job I was good at and working with people I liked. However, I was not doing what I loved and I was not using my talents and abilities to the fullest. So, I decided to take a chance and set my feet toward unknown territory. Now, I am still friends with my previous co-workers but I have found a place doing what I love...all because I took a chance and pushed the limits a bit.

I guess in many ways, I have always lived my life this way. I guess it comes from being a runner and always seeking out Unknown Territory to explore. However, now that I am older and supporting a family and growing a career I see that it is harder to take chances. So, I have begun to think about the meaning, need and purpose of Unknown Territory and Uncomfortable Goals...

I do believe now that if we want to capture the truths we knew as children. If we want to truly live life to its fullest. We would do well to realize that Unknown Territory matters and that there should be a space for Uncomfortable Goals in our lives.

Try it and let me know what you find...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog