Sunday, May 23, 2010

Barefoot Ted's Adventures: So, you wanna start running barefoot?

Barefoot Ted's Adventures: So, you wanna start running barefoot?

--For anyone even slightly interested in trying barefoot or minimalist running please read this article above...I have been 'running toward minimalism' for some time now and it does make running more fun and my body more in tune with the process. However, as the article above shows, you have to take it slow!

I started by taking the insoles out of my trail shoes (which is still the way I log most of my weekly miles). I run in Brooks Cascadias which are already a pretty minimalist shoe (designed by Ultra Marathon runner Scott Jurek)...With the insoles out you really get more feedback from the trail and street and your feet have a little more room to move around in the shoes. Just by taking out the insoles and focusing on taking shorter and lighter steps (not rolling from heel to toes but instead running on the balls of my feet) I have noticed a world of difference. My feet, ankles, legs and knees all feel stronger and my chronic (though mild) knee pain and Plantar Faciatis completly disappeared.

Shortly after ditching the insoles I also purchased these simple shoes used by pretty much everyone in China, martial artists, traceurs , and all the Shoalin Monks :-)  ...I have put 200-300 miles on them since December...usually 3-5 mile runs but a couple longer ones... (pretty much like barefoot running but with some protection..plus they only cost $20:-)

...finally, I have been doing 2-3 mile runs barefoot as my body/feet allow it...have gotten to the point I can run on any surface for a few miles and be fine...but I am taking it very slow and I recommend the same to anyone out there who thinks they want to shun the shoe companies and actually run the way our bodies were meant to run...:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog